Monday, August 6, 2012

Another (wheat-free) marathon!

This one was a doozy...the E.T. marathon in Rachel, Nevada. Did I mention it started at midnight?



Rachel is in the middle of nowhere, about 2 1/2 hours from Las Vegas. Seems like a good place to probe aliens.


I was kind of cranky from lack of sleep. Plus my knee is still acting up, Bob and I had to walk the last 6 miles which sucked. The good news is that we finished in 7.5 hours, 30 minutes before the cutoff.

It was tough figuring out how to eat for a midnight marathon. We ate dinner at 5pm at Munch Bar in Caesars Palace. I had a steak salad.

Just before the race began, I had a Julie Bar. They're made from nuts and dried fruit.


Around mile 20 I had a bite of banana and an orange slice.

I resisted the finish line buffet, it was a carb minefield.

When we were back in Las Vegas, I went to my new favorite place "Greens & Proteins.


I had a Green Shake, made with Banana, Almonds, Mango, Orange, Apple, Avocado, Spinach, Collard Greens, Kale and Vanilla. It was fantastic!

I'm definitely fat adapted, except for being sleepy, I felt fine during the race. The green shake held me until dinner around 7pm.

My next big adventure is hiking in the Grand Canyon at the end of August. Hurry up and heal knee!

No comments:

Post a Comment