Sunday, September 16, 2012

I haven't been a couch potato

Knee problems won't stop me!

Actually my knee is feeling fine. I'll never take my knees for granted again. It feels terrific to get up and down and run and jump without fear that it would give out. 

In August Bob and I hiked down the Bright Angel trail at the Grand Canyon. 



Before we began the hike I ate bacon and eggs. During the 6 hours it took to get to the bottom, I had nuts and some pureed baby food (sweet potato and bananas rock!).

We stayed overnight at the bottom of the Canyon Phantom Ranch. Dinner was family style. I avoided the cornbread and cake and ate steak and salad.


The next morning, after another breakfast of bacon and eggs, we began the hike back up.



Getting back up took about 7 hours, overall I felt good.


When we reached the top, I took a bird bath in the ladies restroom sink. Then we jumped in the car and drove to Las Vegas.

Why Las Vegas? First because Las Vegas is fun! Second, because I had to complete a 12 hour race THE NEXT DAY! That's right, hiking for 2 days wasn't enough, I had to also walk for 12 hours. 

Sometimes I don't make the best choices.

I had already signed up so there was no backing out. The race was from 7pm to 7am. Here I am conserving my energy before the race..

I got lots of miles to go..

Fast forward to 10.5 hours later. I completed about 29 miles and threw in the towel. My legs felt ok, the problem was my big toenails. I had bruised them in the Canyon, it was becoming very painful to continue. 

I was happy with my effort. I was especially happy to have stuck to my wheat-free diet.

Next month...a 24 hr race! 


No comments:

Post a Comment