Saturday, October 20, 2012

24 hours of Boulder Race Report

I was pretty bummed out after my doctor's appointment. The next morning I was signed up to do a 24 hour race in Boulder. If I hadn't have paid the money, I may have skipped it.

I'm glad I didn't go the couch potato, boo-hoo, I feel sorry for myself route.

The race was held at the Boulder reservoir. It's a gorgeous place..




The course was an out and back 7.14 stretch of road. Some was on dirt, some gravel, for variety. We had to cross over a bridge with a scary sign..


I was a bit concerned about crossing in the dark, just my luck I would get swept away! Luckily there was a sturdy fence surrounding the open space, even I couldn't take a mis-step.

I did wander off the course 2 times in the dark (ok, 3 times). When I realized my mistake, I waited until I could see other runner's headlamps to show me the way. A couple that I encountered around 3am were concerned about me. I think they thought I was hallucinating. I assured them that I just don't follow directions well.

I skipped all the food tables loaded with carbs. The only thing I took was water and electrolyte capsules. In my car I stocked a cooler with salad, chicken, cheese and nuts. I ate some paleo cookies and muffins so I can't say I was LCHF. No wheat or grains though.

My race result was 50 miles in 24 hours. Actually more like 18 hours. I tried to sleep in my car for 3 hours, which didn't work at all. Then I laid down on a cot in base camp for an hour. I could have easily fallen asleep but I knew other people would like to lay down too. I just closed my eyes.

Next up is my first Quadzilla, 4 marathons in 4 days. I plan on sticking to LCHF for all the races, I'll be interested to see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment