Friday, October 19, 2012

Impaired Glucose Tolerance

I may have it and it's freaking me out.

Last Friday I had a glucose test at Dr Gerber's office. In preparation, I fasted from dinner to my 10am appointment. The tough part was not having coffee in the morning.

My baseline reading was 94, under 100 is normal. Then I drank a nasty orange drink that contained 75 grams of carbs. I spent the next hour reading magazines until another blood test was preformed.

After an hour my glucose was at 158. Again, in the normal range. Then I had to go sit and read magazines for another hour.

Here's where the impaired stuff begins. My third reading should have been returning to my baseline number of 94. Instead, my number was still in the 150s. The insulin I produced wasn't bringing down my glucose. That's when Dr Gerber mentioned Impaired Glucose Tolerance. And that's when I started freaking out.

Dr Gerber said that being a vegetarian who ate mostly carbs for 25 years may have destroyed some of my beta cells. I never heard of beta cells before, they're linked to glucose and the pancreas.

Dr Gerber recommends the LCHF diet, the one I'm currently using. He suggests 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs.

I left my appointment feeling sad. For 25 years, I thought a vegetarian diet was healthful. Now I realize that eating mostly carbs has hurt my body. Dammit.

I felt sorry for myself for a couple hours. Then I got angry and decided to turn this thing around. I read about Jimmy Moore's nutritional ketosis experiment. I decided to try it too.

First I bought a Blood Glucose monitor. I'm going to check my glucose and  ketones on a daily basis.

I'm going to follow the guidelines for nutritional ketosis in this book...



My nutritional ketosis experiment will last for 90 days. At the end, I'll do another glucose test. My hope is I'll go from impaired blood glucose to fantastic blood glucose!

This should be interesting...







No comments:

Post a Comment