Saturday, December 1, 2012

100 Day Nutritional Ketosis

challenge begins Monday, Dec 3.

Now that I can get ketone strips for $2 a piece, I think I'll do a long challenge.

My goal is to get my ketones around 2 - 3 . Upon reading other blogs, that number range seems to be the sweet spot for weight loss and well being. I've been on the low side for the past week and notice that some of my cravings are returning. I've also been snacking even though I'm not hungry. This is a slippery slope, I need to do a U-turn before I'm eating pizza and toast again.

My plan is to strictly limit carbs to 50 grams or less. Protein will be 50-60 grams. I'll eat enough fat to be satiated.

I'll keep breakfast to about 10 grams of carbs. This morning I had full fat yogurt with whipping cream. Topped with 1/2 oz of nuts and 1/2 oz of pomegranate seeds. When my ketone levels rise, I know this will carry me until mid-afternoon. Until then, if I get hungry, I'll have a piece of cheese to tide me over.

I do enjoy a glass of red wine in the early evening. A 5 oz glass has about 4 grams of carbs. Wine will stay in my plan as long as I haven't had extra carbs during the day.

If I keep my dinner to around 20 carbs I should be good.

If my ketones don't rise, I'll tweak my plan.

I'll check my ketones about 3pm everyday. I'm braced for a low number this afternoon. The good news is I have nowhere to go but up.

UPDATE...fasting glucose was 84. Ketones were .3. I knew I was out of ketosis by the cravings I've been experiencing for the last couple days. Since Thanksgiving I've been eating too many carbs, I knew the ketone number would catch up with me. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get back to at least 1 again.






No comments:

Post a Comment